UBC Okanagan IT (UBCOIT) supports AV technology for centrally funded teaching spaces, otherwise known as general use teaching spaces. These spaces are available across campus and are managed and maintained by UBCOIT to ensure a consistent classroom experience for faculty and students.
Features & Benefits
Most general use teaching spaces are equipped with hybrid audio and visual equipment to support remote and in-person teaching and learning needs of the space, which may include:
- Lectern-based computers or connections for instructors’ laptop computers
- Wireless presentation systems
- Touch panel or button panel control systems
- Document cameras (large rooms only)
- Various microphone options
Requirements & Eligibility
- Equipment in general use teaching spaces is available for use by any UBC staff, faculty or student during building operating hours
- Faculty, staff, students and external groups may book general use space at UBC’s Okanagan campus. More information is available here: Central Booking Office – Rooms & Space
Spaces which are considered general use teaching spaces are shared resources available to any faculty, department, or student to use. The AV equipment, support, and repairs for these spaces are centrally funded.
Academic spaces, labs, and meeting rooms managed by departments with access is restricted to specific users or groups are considered department use spaces. The department is responsible for AV equipment purchases and repairs costs.
For information on UBCO IT AV support, equipment maintenance and replacement for specialty or department owned spaces please submit a ticket for the AV Services Team in the UBC Self-Service Portal.
- Information about on-campus bookable rooms can be found on the UBCO Okanagan Learning Spaces website
- For information on classroom availability, see Online Timetable and Classroom Availability
- Central booking office Classroom Policies, Forms & Resources
- Disability Resources Instructional / Classroom Accommodations
- Information on general use computer labs, can be found here: UBCO Computer labs
- To begin using UBC Okanagan classrooms, please refer to the Self Support and Instructional Videos on available classroom technologies
- For general support, or to book an orientation session, please submit a request using the UBC Self-Service Portal
- Urgent, time-sensitive support is available during regular office hours. Contact UBCO IT at 250-807-9000 (79000 from on campus)
- For Canvas, Kaltura, or Collaborate Ultra support, contact the Centre for Teaching and Learning at 250-807-9293 (79293 from on campus)
The following table clarifies the responsibilities of UBC Okanagan IT and those of the client.
Responsibility – General Use Spaces
|Minor repairs, and provision of spare equipment to avoid service disruption||x|
|Warranty and vendor support management||x|
|Manage required software and security updates||x|
|Authority to disable applications if compromised||x|
|Provide training and self-service documentation||x|
|End-user support / troubleshooting||x|
|Knowledge of basic system set up and operations||x|
|Ensure end-user equipment is compliant and updated to meet UBC standards, compatible with in-room equipment||x|