UBCO Content Management System (OKCMS)
UBC IT Okanagan hosts a website content management system (OKCMS) based on WordPress. The service is provided as WordPress as a Service (or SaaS, Software as a Service) and serves as a common platform that enables sustainable creation and on-going maintenance of websites with the use of UBC Common Look and Feel (or CLF).
Features & Benefits
- Fully CLF-compliant website, implemented in WordPress.
- On-campus hosting infrastructure for website (with centrally supported server backup and upgrades).
- An initial website set up from pre-defined site template of your site structure.
- Online documentation and support materials.
- SSL Certificates.
- System Monitoring.
What’s not included:
- Full content migration (IT provisions the initial website shell from pre-defined site template only).
- Custom design beyond what’s available within the existing UBCO themes and templates.
- Web content maintenance and updates.
- User management after website setup.
- Individual content backups. We have nightly backups of the entire platform but they are for catastrophic loss. Please ensure you take backups of your content.
- Hosting of Personal and Research Lab Websites.
Requirements & Eligibility
- The UBCO CMS must not be used to store and/or collect any personal or sensitive information such as student numbers, a user’s CWL, and other personal information. See Personal Information | Privacy Matters @ UBC for UBC’s definition of personal information.
- CMS should not be used for mission-critical information as data loss may occur.
This service is centrally funded and provided at no cost.
- To request a new website, please submit a New Website Request Questionnaire so we can evaluate your request.
- Information on the process for new site requests and builds.
- Visit UBCO CMS Support & Training support articles, search topics, and to contact us.
- For general support, please submit a ticket at UBC Self-Service Portal.
- To report an incident or issue with this service, please submit a Report an Issue ticket.
The following table clarifies the responsibilities of UBC Okanagan IT and those of the client.
|Overall maintenance of server hosting infrastructure.||x|
|Server LAMP software and security updates.||x|
|Resource monitoring and allocation to ensure optimum server performance.||x|
|Installing and managing TLS / SSL certificates.||x|
|Monitor product for new versions, applying product updates and overall system maintenance.||x|
|Provision of website shell, using the existing UBCO WordPress themes and templates.||x|
|Provision of online documentations and support materials.||x|
|Support and basic training on how-to use the tools and technology included in the system.||x|
|Authority to disable the website if compromised.||x|
|Population of website shell with content.||x|
|Website content creation, updates and on-going maintenance.||x|
|Website content design, site structure and usability.||x|
|Content migration from an existing website to OKCMS.||x|
|Website user access and management.||x|
|End-to-end website testing.||x|
|Ensuring content is backed up appropriately.||x|
|Immediately report to UBC IT Okanagan if suspect website has been compromised.||x|