UBCO Computer Replacement Program (CRP)
The Computer Replacement Program (CRP) program provides IT supported equipment for permanent ongoing positions at UBC Okanagan.
UBC Okanagan IT (UBCOIT) is centrally funded to replace aging equipment as necessary. Life cycle of equipment is based on current funding model. Currently CRP laptops are eligible for replacement after 4 years and CRP desktops are eligible after 5 years. The timing of device replacement is not guaranteed and is subject to UBCOIT funding.
For research computers or support, see Research Computing.
Features & Benefits
- Eligible users can choose from a designated standard CRP model PC laptop or PC desktop. Additional CRP options are available depending on requirements including Apple devices. Consultation on needs and requirements will be conducted by UBCOIT CRP Technician.
- CRP equipment is fully supported, meets all UBC CyberSecurity requirements, and is centrally patched and managed
- CRP equipment is life cycled based on funding
- CRP models are updated and refreshed annually to ensure latest technology advancements
- Support of CRP equipment is up to 7 years
Requirements & Eligibility
- You must be a full-time (1.0 FTE), ongoing, and a UBCO faculty or staff member to be eligible for CRP.
- Instructional positions longer than a 3 year term may be eligible for CRP. Contact UBCOIT with a ticket request to inquire about eligibility.
- Eligible devices will be life cycled upon approved funding and replaced. Currently life cycle practices are that eligible CRP laptops are replaceable after 4 years and CRP desktops after 5 years.
The CRP program does not include:
- Grant-funded positions, sessional staff, temporary workers, graduate students or student work appointments.
- Devices that are department owned.
- Devices that are personally owned and used for University business.
- The CRP program currently covers the cost of a PC Dell Desktop, keyboard & mouse, with one 24″ monitor or a choice of a 14″ PC Dell laptop.
- Other options are available upon consultation and the costs covered by CRP funding will be put towards any uplift options.
- CRP does not cover any laptop accessories or docking stations.
- CRP does not cover the cost of replacement of equipment due to accidental damage or spill damage.
- New hire? Complete the IT Onboarding request to ensure the equipment meets employee needs and is available on their first day.
- Have a question about CRP or CRP eligibility? Please submit a Request Access to IT Service ticket in the UBC Self-Service Portal. Please include the asset number of your current device.
- For a consultation about equipment and devices, please submit a Request Access to IT Service in the UBC Self-Service Portal
- How do I find the service or asset tag of my IT managed computer and devices?
- How to purchase department or other supported hardware in the Workday Microserve catalog?
- How to purchase non-standard equipment or software in Workday?
The following table clarifies the responsibilities of UBC Okanagan IT and those of the client.
|Installing device and equipment, upon request||x|
|Authority to disable device, if compromised||x|
|Monitor age of equipment, contact after 7+ years||x|
|Costs associated with hardware malfunction||x|
|Agree to the terms and conditions set out in the Acceptable Use Agreement||x|
|Submit request for assessment of replacement when equipment is 4+years old||x|
|Secure funding to upgrade beyond the standard device, specialty peripherals or additional monitors||x|
|Training on new device applications and software||x|
|Secure funding for repair or replacement costs associated with accidental damage such as dropping or spill damage||x|
|Surrender ownership of equipment if/when requested||x|