VMware Academic Program [VMAP]
The VMware Academic Program supports the use of virtualization applications in teaching and research. The program provides both desktop and infrastructure software for personal use, whether as part of STEM classes, in research projects, or for gaining hands-on experience with VMware products. Applications are provided at no cost to end-users.
If you are an instructor, student or researcher and would like access to use the available VMware Software listed below, please submit a work order via the UBC Self Service Portal. Use Request a Service -> Submit a General Service Request and please be sure to include your first name/last name and UBC email address in the request.
Qualified members of the academic community, students, faculty, and technical staff can utilize the VMware Academic Program in the following areas:
- Instruction – Faculty at UBC Okanagan gain access to VMware software licenses free of cost for the purpose of classroom instruction. Students taking qualified courses can also install program software on their personal computers.
- Research – Faculty at UBC Okanagan gain access to VMware software licenses free of cost as a part of their non-commercial research projects. Program software can be installed in research labs as well on the personal computers of faculty and students involved in research projects.
The use of VMware software for instruction and research is governed by specific program guidelines and the conditions described within the VMware Academic Program EULA (End-User License Agreement).
Participating departments gain access to a comprehensive suite of VMware products and a host of technical resources. The free products provided are ideal for instructional and research use within academic institutions, and for gaining hands-on experience with core infrastructure products. Included products are:
- VMware Workstation
- VMware Fusion
- VMware eLearning and VMware Sales Professional training materials
- VMware vCloud Suite Standard
- VMware vSphere Enterprise
- VMware vCenter Server Standard
- VMware vCloud Director
Free licenses to available VMware products and eLearning are regularly updated and posted to the self-service web portal. VMAP aims to provide the latest release of the core products, and one or two prior releases to provide compatibility with older hardware.
These free licenses are 365-day evaluation licenses that require a one-time, annual download. Annual product downloads ensure that members receive the most up-to-date versions of products and also allow us to better maintain accurate licensing.
The free single-use licenses provided through The VMware Academic Program may be used for instruction and non-commercial research only. Please refer to the following definitions of instructional and research use:
- Instructional use is defined as conducting educational classes, labs, or related programs.
- Research use is defined as conducting non-commercial, not-for-profit research projects within an academic department or associated research group.
- Infrastructure use is defined as the use of software as a part of the affiliated organization.s infrastructure that is not intended to be used primarily for instructional or research use (as defined above)
Examples of Acceptable Use
- Lab licenses may only be installed in lab environments where the lab is primarily used for instructional or research uses.
- Program software installed in shared lab environments can be used across different courses offered by different faculty members.
- Faculty members as well as staff directly involved in administering systems and providing support for program software may install the software on their personal computers
- Students taking qualified courses or conducting research can access program software within lab machines or download program software on their personal computers. Students receiving licenses through a qualifying course or research project may use the licenses after the course or project is concluded.
- Infrastructure product licenses. vSphere, vCloud and related products . are provided by VMAP for personal use in gaining hands-on experience with the products.
Examples of Unacceptable Use
- Students, faculty members, or other parties that received a license under the program but no longer attend or are employed by the institution.
- Staff members who are not directly involved with system administration related to the program, such as administrative assistants, may not install the software on their personal computers.
- Software that is part of the program may not be shared with non-approved departments. However, it may be installed on shared labs if the approved department.s students regularly use that lab.
- The software provided by VMAP may not be sold, rented, leased, or transferred to any third party including contractors, consultants, other companies, and other department personnel.
- The software cannot be used for infrastructure purposes. Licenses acquired through the VMware Academic Program are for instructional, research, and personal use only.
- The software provided by VMAP may not be used for any purpose outside of instructional, research, or personal use.vSphere licenses provided under this program may not be used for desktop virtualization.
- The use of free VMware software for instruction and research is governed by the specific program guidelines and the conditions described within the VMware Academic Program EULA.